[IP] Surgery Considerations w/Pump

In addition to the excellent advice given by BBrad and Michael, I'd like to throw in a couple more considerations.  (I had brain, not heart surgery - and kept on pumping.)

Not sure what you might have for pre-op meds but I had an antiinflamatory steroid that jacked my pre-surgery basals by 300%, 'nerves' jacked it up another notch LOL

And after surgery I was in critical care for awhile and totally unable to regulate my own pump.  This went on for nearly 10 days, meaning that I had to change sites, cartridges, etc. - and for me, because the nerves in the brain were involved everything on the left side of my body became dysfunctional (and still is!!) - I had trouble seeing the pump clearly - couldn't make out the numbers - and couldn't change any of my paraphanelia.  Trouble was none of the nursing staff knew what the heck to do either. (In the end my endo, God bless him, was home watching one of those introductory pumpers videos because he'd never had to change a site - or a cartridge for someone else. He was coming to the nursing home after the hospital discharged me.  My CDE could work with me in the hospital-(the hospital had a Diabetes Center where she worked, but she was prohibited from working outside that facility.)  BUT remember if all else fails, you can always go back to MDI for awhile.  No, I know!
 you won't like it- I didn't when I ended up accidentaly in a hospital in Tennessee last year- but it didn't kill me and that was my major objective - STAYING alive!

Good luck.  When's your surgery? God bless you.