Re: [IP] correlation between HbA1C and average BG

Avner, the formula I've seen is A1C = (BG + 86)/33.   For your numbers that
puts you at about an AiC of 5.9, not 4.9.  However, the formula is more
accurate at higher BGs, because the relation between A1C and BG is
nonlinear (higher BGs  also have a much bigger effect on the
glycosolation), and the formula above describes a straight line.  Indeed,
according to the formula, with an A1C of 4.1, you'd have a BG of 50!!!
Since A1Cs of 4.0 are in the normal range, and since normals don't live
with an average BG of 50, you can see the inaccuracy.  In the lower range
of BGs, this formula will increasingly understimate the actual average BG.
	But you must be living like a robot to have achieved such good
numbers.  I can't hardly ever get my SD below 60, nor my A1C below 6.4.   A
SD of 46 is pretty impressive.  I don't know how much more fine tuned you
can get!!  What, you want to be normal or something?
	My official recommendation would be to go celebrate with a quart of
milk and a package of double stuff oreos *S*   Should be a piece of cake
(sorry, couldn't resist) for you to precisely time that bolus to cover it
all *S*

<<<<<<<This question is addressed to those pumpers who keep records of
average BG.
I would like to know if there is a simple multiplier between HbA1C and last
three months average BG value?
I got my HbA1C today - it is 4.97%. My last three months average is 108.8
and standard deviation of 46.0. (this average is based on ~600 samples - so
it is a reliable number)
I was under the impression that HbA1C multiplied by ~18 gives the estimated
average. Seems that it is not the case.
After eight months of 'pumping' my HbA1C decreased from 6.0 to 5.0%. I have
few low BG cases that I would like to eliminate - so, fine tuning the basal
is needed.
Thanks for any comments on this HbA1C and average BG correlation.
Avner (from Haifa  - ISRAEL)>>>>>>>>>