Re: [IP] Lethal Lancets

hi.  when we went to talk to my school nurse about testing and insulin at
school, we ran into major problems.  I can understand why they prefer that
during the day, I test in the nurses office.  (I do not currently need to
give insulin during the school day) of course, not that I don't test in
class anyway.  but, i was originally told that if I needed to test or take
insulin at school, such as at night at a rehearsal or anything like that,
that I couldn't do this.  First they suggested going out to my car to do
this (in the dark) but then decided I couldn't do this either because I was
still on school grounds.  the nurse had "never encountered this situation
before."  Anyway, eventually they came up with the brilliant idea that since
I had a car and lived "only a ten minute drive" from school, that I should
drive home, test and take my insulin, then drive back.  I tried to tell them
I shouldn't drive without knowing my blood sugar.  They didn't even realize
that insulin was for low blood sugar! when I asked the nurse about taking
insulin, she said "oh, you mean before you exercise?"  not exactly.  anyway,
they had NO CLUE.  so you know what? I do it at school anyway.  As far as
the nurse thinks, I test my blood sugar once a day, in her office and that's
it.  I'd just like to say that testing blood sugar and giving insulin is a
fact of life for diabetic kids.  And it usually needs to be done in school.
Once you get to junior high or high school, it is very easy to do this on
your own schedule, and that is when I do it.  no amount of rules will stop
that, no matter how well intentioned they are.  ---Gianna
p.s.  I can't wait till I get my pump--my principal will probably yell at me
for wearing a pager.  that is until I explain it to her . . .I could always
pull up my shirt and show her the needle . . . :)