Re: [IP] setting basals...we are confused!

In a message dated 7/30/99 2:21:30 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< OK,  we go one month setting what we think are correct basals for my
 daughter and we then see the endo yesterday.
 our team seemed to concur that I had way too many basals.  sometimes one
 every hour.  they told me that we should have about two or three at most.
 so, all my nightly pokes were in vain.  here I thought we were so close.
 I would like to know how many basals people are programming.
 midnight to 2 am
 2 am - 8 am
 8 am - 8 pm
 8 pm - 12
 the endo. group told me that it is better to have an almost even  basal
 number throughout the 24 hr. period and control blood sugars with the bolus
 , specifically the carb ration bolus. >>

I have 5 basal profiles set:
Midnight - 3 a.m.
3-9 a.m.
9 a.m. - noon
noon - 6 p.m.
6 p.m. - midnight

I can go all day without eating and stay within 30 points plus or minus 100
mg/DL. The purpose of a basal rate is to keep your BGs steady. I bolus for
meals according to what I eat. Who taught your endo group? :-)