Re: [IP] transplant

Good Morning,
I have not had this but I did come close. You can get a great deal of
information from UC Irvine, I believe Dr. Greg Smith is head of Pancreatic
transplants division. It has been a while since I spoke to him So the name my be
off slightly. When I was terminal about a year ago this was my only option left.
The issue's at the time that made these transplants less then desirable were:
high failure rate nearly 50% unless performed with a kidney transplant at the
same time then success rate was in the 80%. GI transplants i.e. pancreas, liver,
intestine repair and or replacement etc. are notoriously high in there failure
rates compared to other transplant area's. The good news is this particular
transplant has become a great area of study and more are being done. UCI will
talk with you and answer most of your questions. Be aware that in order to be
considered you lungs have to be in good shape, but not perfect, if you have
Cystic Fibrosis, COPD, emphysema, asthma etc. they require extensive test to
make sure your lungs can handle it.
Take Care of yourself
Laura