Re: [IP] thanks, Randall!!

Reverend Ruth:
    Move over Randall - you two could do a "tandem" show!  Both of these posts
were very poignant & worth remembering prior to hitting that "send"
button...The breast cancer board recently had an issue with someone who never
had BC ( her Mom did) offering advice on what she'd do if....End result was
that her unintentionally cavalier comments deeply wounded several long-time
members who've had to temporarily leave the board to "recoup"...Found this
poem today at that board & think it's apropos to "cut & paste" it
here...Probably belongs in the mail each month with your "server" bill to
remind us all of the "new rules of the road" out here in "cyber-space"!

Regards, Renee (pump mom who HASN'T "been there/done that" but tries hard to
empathize & understand)

    (pasted from the BC board)
You expressed yourself very clearly and we seem to share the same philosophy
about letting others speak their mind and express their opinions.  We all have
one!  It's very difficult to communicate sometimes via this medium because of
the way the words come off the page.  The writers intention may not be
interpreted the same way by the reader, and not all of us can clearly
communicate our thoughts without possibly offending someone unintentionally.
Ideally, it would be great if we would all take a minute when we write here to
put ourselves in the reader's place and see if what we are posting will offend
anyone.  Of course, we can't be paranoid or we'd never write anything, but
just a little sensitivity makes sense.

Here is a poem a friend sent me today. . .I want to share it with my friends
on this board...all of you!
  Online Friends
 We have to be leery of our "online friends";
  The reason for this comes from deep down within.
 Throughout our lives, from birth to the grave,
 Our impressions of others come from how they behave.
 We can touch them, feel them, see them, and hear them,
 the truth of their words through a multi-sensed ear.
 We can tell by their eyes, or their language, or looking at their body
 If their words are sincere or out of a book.
 But online the words we read on the screen,
 We interpret to say what we want them to mean.
 Our innermost feelings are brought forth there,
 From the words that appear on the screen where we stare.
 Does "I love you" from them mean the same as from me?
 Or am I only a game to them and should I then flee?
 Are they laughing, or joking, or smirking, or worse?...
 While I pour out my heart in short little spurts?
 And that night on the phone, when we spoke those same words,
 Did they hang up and say "Good God, what a nerd!"?
 In all other places, we choose friends with care.
 Online, it is sad, we must truly beware.
 To all of you whom I've shared with from within my heart...
 Remember, be gentle, even though far apart.
 Because "I love you" from me comes from truth, inside,
 Where trust and hope and my true feelings hide.
 And no matter the image I show to the rest,
 While with you I share my fears, hopes and thoughts.
 And I pray when we meet I am all that I seem.