Re: [IP] stress

On 28 Aug 98 at 12:00, email @ redacted wrote:

> "Bill McMahon wrote:
> > why oh why do you feel so sorry for yourself.  you need to get a
> > grip and deal with reality.
> thank YOU for your depth of compassion and kind words.  Are you by any chance
> a DOCTOR????  I have a firm grip, in fact a stranglehold on reality, and I
> certainly don't feel sorry for myself

In this situation most of us should feel sorry for reality...  Sara's
not kidding about that stranglehold...  <G>  But the boiled donuts,
whad were they called...  bagels?  Now that's a different story...

This kind of introduces another idea - why do so many people
commiserate with complaints of the form:

"My favorite sports team is loosing this year..."
"My dog has fleas..."
"The chauffeur spilt coffee on the front seat of the Rolls..."
"My stockbroker has a hernia from lifting all my dividend checks..."

And very few people would comment to those complainers about feeling
sorry for themselves and dealing with reality...  but when those of
us who battle any chronic condition or long term medical problem
mention that it is a problem we are often told to "get a grip on it"
by the very people who ought to be helping to deal with the problems.

I get tired of people who comment about how "easy" it is to deal with
diabetes, cancer, disabilities or other problems from the
vantagepoint of the never affected.  I can sort of understand their
place, because I think people who complain about traffic jams in
urban areas are funny.  I mean, traffic is easy here - and a traffic
delay is two cars in front of you at the stoplight!  So can I
legitimately respond to them that "You need to get a grip on reality
and stop magnifying your problem.  It's easy to deal with..." or do I
need to stop for a moment and realize that for them at that moment it
is a problem?

One of the things I learned in the ministry is that someone else's
problems always look  minimal if you are not involved in helping to
resolve them.  Once you take a look at the real situation you
generally find things that are difficult to deal with... from the
people, situations, needs, events to just general malaise and
hostility from the non-impacted...

No one's  problem is so small that I can justify calling it or them
trivial... and no one's problem is so big that I cannot at least
attempt to assist them in finding a solution...   I'd better get off
the pulpit before someone realizes I'm preaching again...

I hope everyone has a good weekend and remembers not to take
ourselves too seriously, too lightly or judge too quickly.

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.