To: email @ redacted
From: email @ redacted on 26, Aug 1998 3:57 PM
Subject: [IP] Problems with FastTake meter
RFC Header:Received: by omnibus.ce.psu.edu with SMTP;26 Aug 1998 15:52:11
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:44:51 -0700
From: Amy Detorio <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sender: email @ redacted
Ok, I think this subject has come up before, but I feel it should be addressed
again. The other
day I tested with my FastTake meter. I wasn't feeling sick, so I was a little
surprised when the
reading was 387. I had guessed at my dinner bolus, so I assumed that I had
guessed wrong or
forgotten something I had eaten. It doesn't take much to make my bg's
skyrocket. Anyhow, after
programming a 4U bolus and starting it pumping, I decided to re-check with my
other meter
(Accu-check). I almost dropped my pump trying to suspend the bolus as the
second reading was
only 120! I then re-checked with the FastTake and got a 131 reading. This was
all within 4
minutes time, so I know it was the meter, not my bg's. I was able to eat a
snack to cover the 2.2U
I ended up taking and everything was fine. My main concern here is that I
could have died if I
had gone to bed after bolusing the 4U that I definately didn't need.
I called Lifescan to tell them about my problem and they claimed that this was
the first time they
had ever heard of this kind of problem. I know that's not true, because I've
chatted with others
who have experienced the same thing. They sent me a new meter and I'm sending
the old one
back, but I'll have a hard time trusting it from now on.
I guess I'm asking all of you to be sure to report any problems you have with
any meter to the
manufacturer, especially if it's the FastTake. I'm hoping we can force them to
address this issue.