Re: [IP] Illness and high blood sugars

Just to keep the record straight on this, although I doubt whether many
will inject insuling IV.  And if one does, you might want to lower the dose
A few air bubbles injected IV will not really do much damage at all.
Certainly not the small amount that could be mixed with insulin in a 0.5 cc
syringe.  The air will just end up in the lung and eventually be either
absorbed or ventilated out.  There won't be noticeable clotting and even if
there were, the few clots would get broken down in the lungs.   You certain
can kill someone if you rapidly inject enough air IV, but enough is
probable something like in the tens or hundreds of cc's.

<<<<<<<<From: "James P Lyons" <email @ redacted>

> take the insulin intravenously, straight into the vein in your arm. You
> don't need Humalog for that: Regular works just as quick once it's in
> the blood stream. Normally only doctors give it intravenously, but if
> herion addicts can master the procedure themselves, no reason why you
> shouldn't.

I would point out that bubbles in the line would be MUCH more serious if
insulin delivery was intervenous.  when delivering subcutaneously,
airbubles present no health hazzard other than representing undelivered
insulin.  However, if delivered intervenously, they cause your blood to
clot, and clots in veins as a general rule...are very very bad.

But if you've mastered keeping the line bubble free, then i suppose there
isn't a reason not to do it that way (cept maybe the pain of inserting in
those locations...)

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205