[IP] change in altitude

In a message dated 8/24/98 10:35:07 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I'd typically be
 traveling to a location above 4,200' in elevation (Salt Lake City and
 Provo, UT). It's only a 90 minute flight from here, so there is not that
 much sitting around in the airplane. I wonder if the higher elevation also
 contributes to the difference (my home is only about 50-100' above
 sea-level). >>

Yes indeed!  You've got it figured out.  I live at 2500 feet and have a cabin
at 5200 feet (mile high!).  I noticed that I was "always" having hypos up
there at all times of the day, but my morning readings were consistently low.
I started reducing my basals and voila!  success!  Later, I read in Pumping
Insulin that altitude does have this effect.  That, coupled with the extra
energy required to stay warm at night at the higher elevation, explains my
hypos.  I imagine that for you, going from near sea-level to such mountainous
heights, results in an even more noticeable change.

Mary Jean