Re: [IP] Re:ID Bracelet being unnoticeable

In a message dated 8/23/98 6:50:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< >Paula Berketo wrote:
 > Sorry the current styling of Medic Alert bracelets are not cool and draw
 > too much attention.
 > never try to hide the fact that we have diabetes.  What is better - looking
 > fashionable and getting into real trouble because someone doesn't know we
 > have this disease or being safe and wearing a small metal bracelet.  To me
 > - - the more conspicuous the better.>
 Your opinion is very valid. I don't criticise you. You are wise I am
 sure. But if on balance I choose not to wear a clunky, ugly,
 uncomfortable, conspicuous, "I'm defective" ID tag, then that's also a
 valid choice, and I'm under no obligation to do otherwise. Stabbing
 oneself repeatedly each day with needles is bad enough; wearing a pump
 discretely tucked away is an imposition, although less bad. However, I
 draw the line at wearing an ugly, unfashionable ID tag prominently on my
 I don't live in fear of "getting into real trouble". I'm an easy going
 sort of person and I take life as it comes. My decision is not based on
 ignorance and stupidity, nor vanity, but on my own assessment of my
 situation, and the risks I feel I face based on 21 years of experience
 with diabetes.
 If I was a medalion-man, dripping in necklaces, chains, bracelets and
 rings, then perhaps I'd be happy to wear a Medicalert bracelet. But I
 wear no jewellery. I've even got rid of my watch since getting the pump,
 because the pump displays the time.

John, I have been a diabetic for 38 of my 39 years.  I have worn a pump for
almost 15 years.  I have some experience with diabetes and even some with
resisting what is best for me.  You have the right to do what ever you want as
long as it does not hurt some one.     If you had some one who loved you, like
a wife and/or a child, perhaps you would see that the risk you are taking
endangers not just yourself but could cost them the life of someone they love.
Sorry to say this but it is somewhat selfish to say "I would rather not wear
something that could save my life because I don' t like the way it looks."
You have your rights.  I guess those of us, and almost all of us do, who wear
at least something that says we are diabetics (and proud), are looking out for
your loved ones.  I hope you never have the need for medical identification.
Good Health and Good Happiness, Jeff.
 mailto:email @ redacted