Re: [IP] Response to Support

>     I feel like I'm playing Shana Alexander here doing "Point
>     Counterpoint" on
> Sixty Minutes! Just wanted to offer the opposing view- we ONLY ever
> get up during the night if Melissa herself happens to awaken because
> she feels low, or if we're doing an overnight basal fasting test.
> However, Melissa's no where near as active in sports as Lily. I do
> know of another soccer-playing teen- aged girl whose mother
> mentioned getting up every night around 3:00 to check her bgs. I
> might be inclined to be more cautious if I knew she'd been extremely
> active & might be experiencing a delayed drop from the earlier
> exercise.

I suspect Lily's variable bg's have more to do with her precipitatous
basal change when she goes to sleep than with sports. She has always
experienced an increased insulin demand that coincides with her sleep
time. It is not a specific time of day (night) but rather about a
half hour or so after she dozes off. Her insulin requirements
increase by 0.5 to 0.8 units at that time and remain high for about 4
- 6 hours. This has been consistent since she was diagnosed though it
has changed up or down a few times by quite a bit 2 or 3 times. From
what I read on the list, I would guess that this is non-standard. Her
endo thinks it is related to her adolescent growth which started
about the time she was dx'd and is still going strong. She has gained
40 lbs and almost 6 inches in the last 4 years and shows no sign of
slowing down. She is now almost as big as her mom. Anyway, the quick
switch when she goes to bed requires her to set a temp basal rate
until her pump switches to 1.0 u/hr at 1:00am. She may retire
anywhere from 9:30 til 12:00 and usually sets a temp rate of 0.7 to
0.9 depending on her bedtime bg's. This has worked pretty well for
the last few years so she has a 'formula' for tweeking her bedtime
bg's.  Usually her 2:30 bg's are 100 - 180 (which she corrects to
100) but at least once a week, they are out of whack either high
(usually) or low (like at camp) and if the pattern persists, she will
tweek her basal rate a tenth up or down to fix it until 'next time'.

Michael <email @ redacted>