[IP] Re:ID Bracelet being unnoticeable

Paula Berketo wrote:
> Sorry the current styling of Medic Alert bracelets are not cool and draw
> too much attention.
>
> HELLO TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE WHO DO NOT SEEM TO GET THE POINT.  We should
> never try to hide the fact that we have diabetes.  What is better - looking
> fashionable and getting into real trouble because someone doesn't know we
> have this disease or being safe and wearing a small metal bracelet.  To me
> - - the more conspicuous the better.

Paula,

Your opinion is very valid. I don't criticise you. You are wise I am
sure. But if on balance I choose not to wear a clunky, ugly,
uncomfortable, conspicuous, "I'm defective" ID tag, then that's also a
valid choice, and I'm under no obligation to do otherwise. Stabbing
oneself repeatedly each day with needles is bad enough; wearing a pump
discretely tucked away is an imposition, although less bad. However, I
draw the line at wearing an ugly, unfashionable ID tag prominently on my
wrist.

I don't live in fear of "getting into real trouble". I'm an easy going
sort of person and I take life as it comes. My decision is not based on
ignorance and stupidity, nor vanity, but on my own assessment of my
situation, and the risks I feel I face based on 21 years of experience
with diabetes.

If I was a medalion-man, dripping in necklaces, chains, bracelets and
rings, then perhaps I'd be happy to wear a Medicalert bracelet. But I
wear no jewellery. I've even got rid of my watch since getting the pump,
because the pump displays the time.

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted