[IP] ID Braclets

I've been watching the ID braclet thread for a couple of days and thought
I'd put my 2 cents in.

I didn't wear a braclet for a couple of years - I didn't want people to
know I was diabetic. Didn't want to explain, have people say "oh, sorry",
whatever. That lasted about 2 years. Now I wouldn't think about NOT wearing
my slightly clunky, watch scratching, slightly fragile medic alert bracelet.

Remember that there is a reason that these things are clunky - so other
people (like paramedics and emergeny room doctors) CAN SEE THEM!  What's
one of the first things a dr. will do - take a pulse. Usually on the wrist.
I think that an ankle version would counter productive. You want the thing
to be seen in times of emergency.

Having it more subtle and jewelry-like has the same problems. I've seen
large gold, ornate versions of the medic alert that I've really had to look
at closely to see that it was indeed a medic alert bracelet.  Screw fashion
folks, this thing is here to help keep you alive.

A few years ago my father was in a car accident due to an extreme low (no
injuries, except to the car). The first cop on the scene wanted to arrest
him for being drunk at 8:30 in the morning (he wasn't, if you hadn't
guessed that part yet). The second cop saw his medic alert and clued in. My
dad, unfortunately, was pretty incoherent at this point due to the shock of
the accident and the low bs. Once the cop realized what was going on and
Dad's blood sugars were brought up to a normal level everything was ok.
Since that I've always made sure that the thing is on my wrist. That and my
fiancee would probably kill me if I took it off ;)

I agree with a bunch of the posts that the medic alert isn't tough enough.
I've busted two (in 18 years or I really can't complain). They get caught
on things, the links aren't tough enough, yadda, yadda, yadda. My biggest
complaints are that 1) the inscription on the back can hardly be seen and
2) the red paint comes off too easy. I remember that the first bracelet I
had (way back in 1979/80) was built like a tank. It lasted a long time.
When I finally had to replace it, I remember thinking that the new version
was much thinner and lighter.

I find the inconvience factor pretty low given the degree of mental
security it gives me.

Dave Zakary

Sharpei diem. -- Sieze the Wrinkle Dog.

At first, I was opposed to the so-called satellite mind-control transmissions.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
David Zakary                                        Bowne Internet Solutions
Interactive Designer                             21 St. Clair Ave. East
mailto:email @ redacted           Toronto, Ontario
416-960-8400 x 319                           M4T 1L9