[IP] Re: Medic Alert ID

I figured I would echo a few points in the discussion:

1) Probably the majority of all medical staff (MD, RN, PA, EMT etc..)
would not recognize an insulin pump. Some won't even recognize that the
infusion site is something unusual.

2) Pumps are used for other things. Various people have mentioned chemo
and HIV therapy. I have heard about some experimental protocols of various
types that use them. And of course, let's not forget about heroin <g>.

3) ID bracelets, necklaces, and cards are important to have with you
(probably in that order too!). Still, many police, EMTs, and paramedics,
and even emergency room staff often forget to check for medical IDs. When
I volunteered in the ER I would occaisionally find a medical ID that had
been overlooked while itemizing a patient's personal belongings before
admitting them. I agree that the obvious IDs are ugly, but they are more
likely to be noticed.

And finally, Medic Alert did change its price system about 3 years ago.
Those of us who started with them under the old system can use it for
life, unless you want to switch.
	Under the old pricing system you would purchase a piece of ID
jewelry and pay a processing fee to have your information entered into
their data base. After that you would pay nothing until you needed a new
ID or wanted your information updated. (they may even have bundled the
processing fee into the cost of a new ID)
	Under the new system you pay to join the system, purchase your ID,
and then pay an annual fee. You can update your information as frequently
as you want.
	The switch had 2 major motivations. First there was the cash flow
issue. Although Medic-Alert is (I believe) not for profit, they do have a
lot of overhead because they maintain a 24 hour toll free hotline and a
rather large database. Having annual fees is a much more predictable
income source. Secondly, many people were not frequently updating their
information. Clearly that could contribute to the cash flow issue, but it
also meant that emergency staff were not always getting reliable

Best to all,

Jeremy A.