Re: [IP] Humalog&Velosulin

John Neale wrote:
> My endo's reaction was similar - incredulous disbelief that anyone would
> do something so pointlessly stupid. However, the anecdotes on this list
> give a strong and clear message: for some people, mixing Humalog and
> Velosulin brings advantages.

Or then there are folks like me, that mix Humalog with Lily R.

 I don't know of any research. Trouble is,
> these insulins are made by different manufacturers,

Mine aren't though. Never could understand why Velosulin i still thought
to be better than Lily R. I've used both and haven't found a difference.

> > They do studies ,etc for the ADA here in LA. and fear the
> > yeast base of the one(V)versus the dna stuff with (H).
> I may be wrong, but I can't see any basis to this worry: Lilly human
> insulin and Humalog are made with yeast and Novo's insulin with e-coli
> bacteria (or is it the other way round?

It IS the other way around.

 By the
> time the manufacturing process is over, there isn't a trace of the yeast
> or bacteria left. It would be pretty shocking if you were injecting
> yeast or e-coli under the skin...! The differences are in the funny
> chemicals they add to allow the insulin to store better without going
> off

I've heard they both use the same preservative, at least in general terms.
The amount may differ, but the same chemical is used.

Also, I have a good friend who can't use Lily insulins at all. They have
NO effect for him, but Novo insulins work fine. The only thing anybody
can ascribe it to is the different chemistries used in manufacturing,
most notably the E. coli Lily uses vs the yeast Novo uses.

 - it is after all a fresh protein, but it keeps much better than the
> food in your fridge. This is where there is concern about mixing the
> insulins - that their preservatives may react in unpredictable ways.

Though I understood the Humalog needed a lower amount of the cresol than
either R or V use.
> BTW If your doc hasn't got a computer, why not? Is he
> a) too poor
> b) not intelligent enough to use one
> or c) unwilling to learn?
> I'm continually amazed at how blinkered many are who practice medicine.

Perhaps he lacks TIME?

Ted Quick