Re: [IP] support and twitching

You are so right.  My best friend lost his mother in a car accident
brought on by a low blood sugar.  I've given Matt all the support I can,
to help him deal with the loss of his mother, and he does his best to
look after me.  I don't think anyone can be an island.  Isn't that why we
are here?

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:40:06 EDT email @ redacted writes:
>The following is long and relates to personal responsibility,
>independence and
>support - absolutely nothing about glucose meters or stirred, not
>Humalog. And if you are "twitcher" please don't take personal offense!
>Michael wrote:
>> throught this and wondering when (if) my child would wake up. I've
>> never heard of anyone dying or being permanently harmed by a crash
>Maybe not in their bed, with a loved one at hand...but put 'em behind
>wheel of a car and not only will they die or be permanently
>harmed...but they
>will kill and/or permanently harm OTHERS.  (friend of mine is 6 feet
>under due
>to this, as are the people in the car she rammed into...)
>I have had diabetes for 24 years - I have complications and good days
>and bad
>days, I am not special and I am NOT a whining weenie.  I don't have a
>pill that no one else has but I have been fortunate enough to have
>NEVER lost
>consciousness for anything (except once when my mom was trying to
>something on my finger...and a few times while under the influence of
>alcohol), nor have I ever TWITCHED during a low.  (That scene in Steel
>Magnolias and some of the stories told here have made my skin crawl,
>but no
>I have lived an exceptional life (so far), traveled the world, lived
>all over
>the country, skied, rock climbed, water skied, rode horseys, had wild
>intimidating - I mean intimate - moments (make that HOURS), put myself
>grad school, survived major surgery with only minor body parts
>I attribute my wonderful life not merely to CHANCE, which a good
>portion of it
>is, for life is nothing but a series of NON-fatal accidents, but also
>to the
>fact that  I have always taken full responsibility for my
>diabetes...yeah I
>may cry about the stupid doctors or the inept plebotomists or the slow
>or the ridiculous dealings with insurance, but that doesnt change the
>way I
>take care of myself.
>My parents pretty much dumped this diabetes thing on me.  Yes, they
>(and probably still do), yes, my mother cried when the doctor gave her
>Word; yes, she gave me my shot every morning (and on Saturday, poked
>me, then
>left a glass of OJ next to the bed as I rolled over and went back to
>Yes, like all of you parents, they tried to find the best doctors they
>and when I was no longer eligible for their insurance, they were
>able to pay my continuation premium, and did so willingly and with
>though it was close to $1,000 per quarter.  Once I started doing my
>own shots
>at around age 12, their invovlement was pretty much to pay the bills
>and shake
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]