Re: [IP] Diabetes Disability Act for children

> On one hand I am glad that the Bill of Rights is there but on the other
> hand
> it is so vague that in my case it really doesn't do us a lot of good.  From
> what I am gathering we are basically on our own for noontime injections as
> it
> says "the child must be allowed to inject insulin at anytime."  well what
> do
> parents do that have children who are too young to inject it themselves, or
> who need assistance?   It makes NO provisions for this whatsoever.

It's not really clear exactly WHAT schools have to do.  See, the wording
is murky --  "reasonable accomodations".  So who decides what is
reasonable?  If you and the school can't agree on "reasonable", it will
be up to the courts (if you take it that far).  Unfortunately, you don't
have the time for that.  School starts soon.

Each district is different.  There was a landmark lawsuit recently
against 2 daycares that mandated they check blood sugars for children
too young to check themselves, but the issue of injections was not an
issue.  In our school district, they will check blood sugars, but not
give injections.  Again, is that "reasonable"?  If your child requires
injections at noon every day, I think not.  It puts an unreasonable
burden on the parent (my opinion).

I would say:
1) definitely contact your local ADA or JDF chapter and get something
2) since you probably won't get them to give your child shots anytime
soon, talk to your child's endo to see if the lunchtime shot can be
eliminated.  If your child is on Ultralente, she (? right) would
probably need to try NPH.  It's supposed to peak 4-6 hours after
injection.  If your child is already on NPH, why are the noon shots

I agree that you are limited in your options right now.  Unfortunately,
you probably aren't going to get the school's cooperation anytime soon.
Does the school have a nurse on staff?  If so, you may be able to get
the school to cooperate with just an arm-pull from the ADA/JDF.  But, if
there is no school nurse, you may very well have to fight it out in the

My daughter starts school this year and the pump has alleviated SOOOO
many potential problems.  No shots at school, minimal school
intervention.  Kayla can check her blood sugar and can do her own bolus
for lunch.  The only thing we had to compromise on was calculating her
boluses.  Each day the school will call me with her blood sugar at lunch
and I will calculate the bolus and tell them what she needs.  (Kayla is
only 5 and can't do the calculation herself.)  She can do the
'button-pushing' necessary to give her bolus.

Just one more reason for you to consider the pump.  :-)

Good luck!