[IP] support and twitching

The following is long and relates to personal responsibility, independence and
support - absolutely nothing about glucose meters or stirred, not shaken
Humalog. And if you are "twitcher" please don't take personal offense!

Michael wrote:

> throught this and wondering when (if) my child would wake up. I've
> never heard of anyone dying or being permanently harmed by a crash

Maybe not in their bed, with a loved one at hand...but put 'em behind the
wheel of a car and not only will they die or be permanently harmed...but they
will kill and/or permanently harm OTHERS.  (friend of mine is 6 feet under due
to this, as are the people in the car she rammed into...)

I have had diabetes for 24 years - I have complications and good days and bad
days, I am not special and I am NOT a whining weenie.  I don't have a magic
pill that no one else has but I have been fortunate enough to have NEVER lost
consciousness for anything (except once when my mom was trying to lance
something on my finger...and a few times while under the influence of
alcohol), nor have I ever TWITCHED during a low.  (That scene in Steel
Magnolias and some of the stories told here have made my skin crawl, but no

I have lived an exceptional life (so far), traveled the world, lived all over
the country, skied, rock climbed, water skied, rode horseys, had wild
intimidating - I mean intimate - moments (make that HOURS), put myself through
grad school, survived major surgery with only minor body parts missing...and

I attribute my wonderful life not merely to CHANCE, which a good portion of it
is, for life is nothing but a series of NON-fatal accidents, but also to the
fact that  I have always taken full responsibility for my diabetes...yeah I
may cry about the stupid doctors or the inept plebotomists or the slow labs,
or the ridiculous dealings with insurance, but that doesnt change the way I
take care of myself.

My parents pretty much dumped this diabetes thing on me.  Yes, they worried
(and probably still do), yes, my mother cried when the doctor gave her The
Word; yes, she gave me my shot every morning (and on Saturday, poked me, then
left a glass of OJ next to the bed as I rolled over and went back to sleep).
Yes, like all of you parents, they tried to find the best doctors they could,
and when I was no longer eligible for their insurance, they were financially
able to pay my continuation premium, and did so willingly and with love...even
though it was close to $1,000 per quarter.  Once I started doing my own shots
at around age 12, their invovlement was pretty much to pay the bills and shake
their heads disapprovingly when I had that 8th oreo.  They were very
supportive in allowing me to make the decisions, and if I was unhappy with a
doctor, they were right there behind me, but still it was me calling the shots
(pardon the vial pun).

I read about Ryan's dad being put to the test, and I just have to smile...my
darling, college educated, oil company president daddy would do anything for
me, but he would NEVER EVER be able to change out my site, nor could my
mother.  I don't remember my father EVER giving me an injection, nor did he
EVER draw up a syringe, and neither EVER rubbed glucose gel on my gums...and
they didnt ever have to.  Even after 8 years of ongoing laser treatment, I am
not sure they really understand what it going on, even though I have
explained, using little words.  The responsibility is and has always been,

Support and understanding from family and friends is great, and helps make
life in general a little easier, and I love that list for that reason, but the
bottom line is: I am my own best support group, my own best doctor, my own
best therapist - and sometimes I think I ought to fire the whole lot and get
some new ones, but then I have to take the responsibility to find new
ones...cuz they aren't gonna come look for me - not at the rates I pay!!

So, when I leave the house, I make sure I have my dex tabs and a dollar bill,
I wear my medic alert bracelet and carry my meter.  and I feel confident as I
roam the steets of Paris, or New York or if I have to sit in a crowded ER for
12 hours without anything to eat that it isn't an unexpected low or an
uncontrollable high that prevents me from living my exciting life or that
causes me excuciating embarassment by making me TWITCH in public...

Sara - who only twitches in private, and not cuz her sugar is low!
*-)=B xoxx