Re: [IP] Re: Humalog vs Regular

> Cut the guy some slack. John Walsh was one of the first advocates of
> Humalog use in pumps, wrote the first "advice" on adjusting it's use for
> pumps, and was also one of the first to experiment and document the mixing
> of Humalog and Velosulin. You quote him all the time when his advice
> supports your views, so give him a break when he states something
> different, please.

Can't do that. I firmly believe he is dead wrong about the 'heat'
issue. I have talked to Eli Lilly reps about this problem as well as
taken numerous obversations of my own. My (by now well known)
daughter Lily used straight Humalog for a while and still uses it
mixed 5:1 . I find it difficult to believe that after two summers in
the sun at Tahoe, the beach and around here where this summer's
temperatures reach 100 degrees, she has had no problems with Humalog
and sites that have not been immediately corrected with a site
change. She routinely (in spite of my hassling) leaves her pump and
pack lying in the sun at the pool or by the beach. God only knows
what the temperature of the poor pump is inside a dark green fanny

Sorry, I don't buy the heat connection. Any insulin can lose its
potency in a matter of hours or a few days at most, when held at
temperatures  above 100 degrees F., while a room temp it loses
1.5 % potenency per month according to official Eli Lilly documents.

The biggest problem is that this 'misconception' about Humalog causes
pumpers to take inappropriate action with respect to high blood
sugars attributable to 'hot' Humalog, rather than address the
underlying problem of site corruption which is easily corrected.

I believe Walsh has done a world of good in bringing the pump
technology withing reach of all diabetics with clear and conscise
HOWTO books, however, I also think it irresponsible on his part to
propagate inaccurate information based on ancedotal information that
has not been throughly checked out. This is one case where I firmly
believe his information to be just dead wrong. I base that on my own
observation as a trained scientest, not guessing, but testing the
hypothesis by trial and error and comming up with repeatable results
that show the 'supposed' Humalog problems to be directly related to
the body's rejection at the infusion site.

I am not claiming that there no problems with heat damaged insulin
and high blood sugars, but my own experience and the ancedotal
evidence of other pumpers who are sucessfully mixing H + R or V and
who have experienced the same results as Lily strongly suggest that
we have accurately identified the most common problem with Humalog as
being related to the molecular composition and its interaction with
body tissue and not tubing degradation, heat, or any of the other
proposed explanations. The simple act of changing the infusion site
and sucessfully correcting the problem, eliminates the other
possibilities. If the problem were due to tubing, heat, anything
other than the site itself, changing the site would not effect the
outcome, it would only prolong the period of high blood sugar.
> My guess is that Walsh has seen and  actually "touched" more pumpers than
> many of us on the list have. Sometimes that close observation notes things
> which we might miss. Personally, I think I know what works and doesn't work
> for me, but I can't insist that these observations have the same broad
> application to all the other pumpers out there. My experiments are
> conducted in a very small lab, by a researcher who struggles to eliminate
> most of the bias from his lab observations (that's me, in case you missed
> the inference ;-)).
> I think Walsh is on our side, and intelligent enough to question what he
> doesn't think is right. He seems to recognize the potential of Humalog, but
> also recognizes the fact that one constant about Humalog is it's
> inconsistency <vbg>.

I am sure you are right. I just think he jumped to an unwarranted
conclusion this time. It happens, I'll forgive him (not that he
needs my forgiveness, heh... heh...), but the misinformation is still