[IP] RE Need your support, Husband taking over care of Ryan

Although it may not look too good now, there may be a
positive from this.  This will force both your husband and
Ryan to accept the responsibility for diabetes management.
By being forced out of that role for some time, you will
undoubtedly have a difficult time.  Although I doubt his
bg's will be as good as when you help control them,
ultimately Ryan will need this ownership.  Now seems like
the time to start.  Hopefully they will rise to the

Best of luck to them and to you on your operation.

I have learned so much from this group and I want to thank
everyone for being
there.  I have a dilemma facing me.  Ryan is 11 and has been
on the pump for a
year.  He was diagnosed at age 3.  I have been the only one
who has cared for
him.  My husband has never learned how or participated in
the care.  I'm not
trying to make him sound like a bad parent.  He has made a
half hearted
attempt a few times when I have thrown a fit.  Anyway to get
to the point.  I
am scheduled for surgery on Sept. 9, for a complete
hysterectomy.  My husband
knows nothing about the pump.  I am terrified of going into
the hospital and
leaving Ryan.  I called minimed and ask for a video to be
sent giving step by
step directions on the pump.  Tonight we talked and I have
put the care in his
hands or I am going to try to get him to take over.  He has
to know what to do
before I go into the hospital.  Just tonight Ryan was at a
friends and when he
came home he informed me that he was out of insulin.  Had
been for 2 hours.
We checked and he was 398, you know it takes time to load
the insulin, check
again 5 min later he was 489.  You see where I am going.  My
husband did not
have a clue as to what to do.  Ryan is fine.  It is
12:30a.m. And his bg is
103.  I feel like I am degrading my husband by telling
everyone this.  I just
want everyone to know the history on us.  I am going to
introduce him to this
support group, and tell him that he can go to our site if he
has questions.
Which I hope he will, I would like him to read the mail
everyday as I do. So
you might get a lot of questions that you feel is
ridiculous.  Please be
patient and answer his questions. I am going to put the
responsibility of
Ryan's care in his hands as of tomorrow.  I told him he is
going to have to
schedule his work around Ryan's care. (He has his own
company) He will now be
changing out the site, etc.  Did not mean to go on or cry on
shoulder, I just wanted to let everyone know that I really
need your support
for him.  He is going to have to finally comes to grips with
the fact that his
son is a diabetic and has a life threatening disease.  He
has used his work to
get out of the care.  That can no longer be.
Thanks for lending your ear and time.
Helen (Ryan's mom)>>>