Re: [IP] Need your support, Husband taking over care of Ryan

>He is going to have to finally comes to grips with the fact that his
>son is a diabetic and has a life threatening disease.  He has used his
work to
>get out of the care.  That can no longer be.
>Thanks for lending your ear and time.
>Helen (Ryan's mom)

Because apparently you have been taking care of Ryan's diabetes
exclusively, he's never really had to learn what to do. However, there is
nothing like a crisis to help people rapidly figure things out. Is there
any way to get some quick training for your husband from a CDE? He'll
really need someone that he can turn to, for questions while you are
incapacitated. If you need to, create checklists, charts or whatever works,
to outline the critical things that he needs to know. Until your surgery,
make him do all the set-changes while you watch. Also, have him deal with
the day-to-day problems while you stay in the background as much as
possible.(He needs to rely on himself now, not on you). Be really blunt
about what could happen if things go wrong. If he loves his son (which I'm
sure he does), he'll learn to deal with it. I'm guessing that all this
medical stuff really scares him and that's why he's been avoiding it... but
there is nothing like education to get rid of fear. Your husband needs a
major crash course in diabetic care ASAP... the more he knows, the more
comfortable he'll feel. Just make sure that he understands that there are
no excuses, because Ryan's life depends on him.