Re: [IP] little beeps

On  8 Aug 98 at 11:10, Ruth Elowitz wrote:

> I'm the instructor!  It disrupts my class and makes it difficult to keep students who
> already have a difficult time with the concept of relevancy on task.  It also steals
> time away from teaching reading, writing and critical thinking in classes that are
> already 5-10 hours a week shorter than they need to be to get the students up to the
> required level.  I appreciate that this is a medical problem but it is my medical
> problem and it is distracting and disruptive during class and to my sleep at night.

What are you teaching?  I've never been in a class that was that
quiet - there is always some noise in the background.  I keep my pump
set to the lowest volume level and with it in the gray padded belt
case you don't hear the beeps.  I often have a temporary basal rate
set on Sunday mornings and haven't had any problems during church
with the beeping.  It only does it on the half-hour anyway... three
little beeps every 30 minutes...  the only person who's ever said
anything about it was one of my three year old sons.  One night I had
set the volume up to the highest level just to hear what it sounded
like and he asked what the beeps were.  I told him it was my
"medicine box" telling me everything was OK.  He said something to
the effect of "everything's OK?" and when I said it was he went on to
ask me to read him a bedtime story...

It sounds like classic "YMWV" here - to me it's more annoying that
people still use noisy old number 2 pencils to write with or use
chalk on chalkboards...  all that scratching and scraping...  when
you can use at least a ball-point pen, even though they smell bad, or
better yet you can use one of the "rollerball" pens.  I once asked a
man to leave an electronics class I was teaching (Amateur Radio)
because he came in wearing some kind of really stinky aftershave.
I'll take the beeps any day over some of the smells that people
slather all over them...  those things cause asthma and all kinds of
nasty allergic reactions...  A few years ago a student had to quickly
run back to the dorm for a quick shower before one of our concerts
because she had forgotten the "no perfume" rule and people all around
her were complaining...  not to be really unsympathetic, but it's
only three little beeps, not an air horn or siren...  and it is
telling you that the pump is working according to instructions.  I
guess you could put it in a padded case, wrap it in sound insulation
and then put it in a "fanny pack"...  <g>

Or if it's that big of an issue just bolus before class and
deactivate the pump completely.  Lots of options and you have to
decide which one is best for you...

Randall P. Winchester

* misunderstood something.