Re: [IP] little beeps

On  7 Aug 98 at 9:00, Ruth Elowitz wrote:

> > In fact, Lily has a history teacher who is adamant that no beepers or
> > phones are allowed in his class. Lily was running a temp basal rate
> > one day when it beeped in his class. She said he practically had a
> > coniption fit and looked all over the classroom for the 'kid with the
> > beeper'.
> Exactly -- I can't do that in college courses, especially since I send anyone out
> of class who makes noise like that.  A 2 sentence explanation takes more time than
> I have and distracts the class -- the slackers love when I talk about off the
> subject things.  It's not appropriate to interrupt an hou class to explain these
> things.  I'd get nasty reviews at the end of the semester.

Sounds like a clear cut case of discrimination against people with
pumps - I've got a lawyer friend who'd love to file a lawsuit against
a university for violating the ADA.  Ignoring the pump beep would
fall under the "reasonable accomodation" rule and any jury would come
down hard on someone penalizing a person with an insulin pump like
that...  I can see the lawyer now...  "And if someone in your class
had their pacemaker telemetry unit alarm you'd make them get up, walk
out of class even though it would be a potential medical risk?
Hmm...  so you prize your control over the class more than the health
of your students?"   I doubt if it would ever see a jury -- the
university's lawyers would probably start writing checks fast enough
to make the paper smoke.  The student would probably get the rest of
their education paid for at the very least....
Randall P. Winchester

* misunderstood something.