Re: [IP] What Do I Do Next?

> What to do next?  Hope the doc sees the light and not the HMO version.  My
> doc went after me to use the pump, so that part was not a problem.  The
> insurance said I was too healthy (A1C = 7.1 before the pump) so no.  The
> CDE disagreed for about an hour and a half before they were convinced that
> preventing problem before they happen might be more cost effective.  I
> hope your doc will see that also so he will be in full force behind you
> when you go to the HMO.

My Dayton OH internist *really* went to bat for me about 6 months ago,when I
came to his office and asked for a pump.  He knew *exactly* what
to do to get my insurance co to buy me one.  Got my Minimed 507C last
Tuesday.  And now waiting to be trained on how to use it.  <g>  Of course
my HbA1c's went ffom 9.4 on single daily injection to 8.5, then 7.5 during
that 6 months on MI ( 4-6 daily ). Of course my internist works private
practice ( *not* for an HMO ), and my insurance is feff-for-service.

You *may* have to go to a different doc of the one you're now goiing to
is "indifferent" to getting you a pump.  My internist had me send him *daily*
faxes of my BGs for a couple of months.  Getting a pump is pretty much
filling the squares ( obstacles? ) put in place by your insurance co to
prevent them from having to buy one.  Note I'm a veeerrrryyyy long time
DM sufferer, but even though, I succeeded in getting my pump!

John Huff, Dayton OH
( type 1, dx @ 18 months, now 61 )
mailto:email @ redacted