Re: [IP] Getting all the bubbles out

At 06:19 AM 08/07/1998  Bob Burnett wrote:
>Point of interest here, re: bubbles coming out of the insulin bottle when
>I "assumed" the author of the original message (Sam or Richard?) was
>talking about Humalog bottles.

It was me... and yes, I was blabbering about Humalog.

>Interestingly enough, Eli Lilly finally acknowledged a "problem" with the
>rubber stoppers in the Humalog bottles. I quote in part from a letter
>Eli Lilly to another user, forwarded to me in April 1998:
>"In discussions with Technical Services, it was determined that the
>for Humalog are manufactured from a material that is less resilient than
>material used for some other insulin stoppers.  As a result, these
>more difficult to puncture and may also leak or "spray back" on
>occasion.  When the needle is withdrawn, the needle cut in the stopper
>may close more slowly, emitting a fine spray.  Our Technical Services
>area is currently looking at potential options to address these issues.
>Meanwhile, these conditions may be reduced by letting the vial warm to
>room temperature just prior to use.  This will improve the stopper
>resiliency.  In addition, it is recommended to avoid over-pressurization
>of the vial.  If excessive air is introduced into the vial over multiple
>doses, the vial can become over-pressurized, which can increase the
>possibility of "spray back".
>end of forwarded message

Thanks for posting this letter... I wonder why they use a different type of
stopper for Humalog?? There must be some chemical reaction with the
ordinary stoppers that forces them to make them different. Even if they fix
this, it'll take awhile to show up... the H that I use expires in April of
2000, and I don't know what date current batches have.