Re: [IP] Continous Glucose system

Sam Skopp wrote:
> Last week I talked to my endo about this. He had seen some of the results
> of these trials. Apparently this is opening up a huge Pandora's box. He
> told me than instead of a nice curve of readings over a period of time,
> that the peaks & valleys looked more like the stock market during a very
> rough month. He said you could get momentary lows in the 40's and then have
> it immediately jump back up into triple digits. Current tests apparently
> average these spikes... how are they going to handle it when there is a
> continuous readout for everyone to see? He indicated that until they figure
> out how to deal with this, that the practical application of this
> technology may still be some time off.

This has fascinated me too. Given the massive time lag in the feed-back
of the system, you're surely going to require a super-computer to make
intelligent, reliable and stable use of the results to achieve automatic
bg control. In the meantime it'll remain a fairly crude hypo-alert

You'll still have to manually bolus before a meal. If you wait for a
rise in the average gluocse level of the interstitial fluid before
initiating a bolus, you're too late. You'll exagerate the peaks and

> BTW, the wild peaks & valleys also held true for non-diabetics too
> (although they had a narrower range of values than diabetics). Apparently
> our bodies do not react to changing conditions as quickly as doctors had
> previously thought. This is because we didn't have the means to monitor
> these things virtually continuously before.

Have they never before just fixed up a shunt in your arm, and taken a
venous sample every 60 seconds for a few hours? Do these wild peaks and
troughs mean that sometimes bg readings can simply be irrelevent? I'm
curious to know how wide-spread these rebounds are, and how often they
cause us to respond inappropriately. People here sometimes get confused
by massive and unexplained drops in bg. Are we perhaps testing too often
for our own good?

mailto:email @ redacted