Re: [IP] What Do I Do Next?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue W <email @ redacted>
To: Insulin Pumpers Digest <email @ redacted>
Date: Friday, August 07, 1998 2:09 AM
Subject: [IP] What Do I Do Next?

>Doc said that the fact I am so well controlled with my MDI
>routine (6-8 or more injections daily) that the insurance might say that
>if I can control it that way, why do I need a pump?  I feel like I
>might be punished for doing a good job!

>Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

In well controlled diabetics, the long term looks pretty good, from the
standpoint of avoiding complications.  That's where the pump successes will
pay off from the insurance company's standpoint.

Moreover, the ten year study (DCCT?) found intensively controlled diabetics
are more susceptible to short term problems, like insulin shock and
seizures.  This results from the need for using long acting insulins, lente,
ultralente etc.

The pump, by virtue of infusing only very small dosages of insulin, and
avoiding long acting insulins entirely, makes hypos much less frequent and
less severe.

My endo used this argument in his letters of medical necessity.

And I have avoided hypo seizures since I began pumping.