Re: [IP] Weight Gain?

The "weight gain" is not automatic. Not all things with pumping are
automatic ....

My personal experience was losing weight when I went on the pump. I lost
about 15 pounds in the first year.

My weight loss was due in large part to not eating a bunch extra for hypos.
I dealt with them strictly by using glucose tabs. Coupled with fewer hypos,
my calorie intake dropped, hence the weight loss. In addition, I used less
insulin than when on injections (approximately 30 % less on average), which
contributed to the weight loss.

After the first year, I continued to lose weight, but at a slower rate.
This was *not* desirable, and after some detective work, we determined that
my thyroid was causing some difficulties. Treatment with Synthroid is
dealing with the thyroid issues, and I'm starting to put weight back on,
which is good.

Point of the story is the pump allows me to manage the adjustments to my
diet, making weight management easier while maintaining reasonable BGs.

I think one of the main reasons cited for pumpers initially putting on
weight is the "eat what you want when you want" factor. Foods previously
omitted from meal plans can now be accommodated, etc. Kind of like when I
first got my driver's license. I noticed I went through a lot of gasoline,
because I wanted to visit all these places I had never gone before. <vbg>
Now that I've "matured" (supposedly), my gasoline consumption has gotten
better ;-)

mailto:email @ redacted