I've been vacationing for 2 years and will stay that way because:

         It takes a lot of insulin to prime a pump;

         Someone put a list of conditions that affect blood sugars and
it seems like all of them affect me at various times:

         Site troubles may or may not have caused problems;

         I suspected that my pump was not really delivering;

         My 51st diaversary is coming up and I am comfortable taking
injections with disposable syringes;

         When I shoot up instead of bolusing, I know that all the
insulin delivered; and

         At my age, I don't really need the ability to have different
basal rates, except for early morning!

Back in the '60s, our diets were set up on exchanges and there were very
few 'free' foods (0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 protein.  The doctors set our
insulin dosages and we were not supposed to increase or decrease without
permission.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner had set amounts of foods.  I
had one snack at 3 pm and another at bedtime.  It's one of those big
advantages of pumps that if someone offers you a yummy, carb-laden treat
that you do have the option to bolus and eat, or just skip it.  I use a
Dexcom, so if I eat a sweet treat and my residual insulin doesn't cover,
I see the rise and cover it later. My rule of thumb is to take an extra
shot and watch the monitor if the snack is large. One or two potato
chips doesn't do much to blood sugars, but a slice of cake with frosting
will cause a mountain peak to show up on the Dex.  Big Shot for that and
before eating! My doc has me taking Novolin N to replace the basal with
a huge shot at midnight to combat the pre-dawn rise.  Two other basal
shots at 7 am and noon, but they're little.  I add Humalog when I need
it and take a large Humalog injection at dinnertime.  So far, so good.
My home A1C last month was 6.4.

Write to me offlist if you have any more questions. I see from Michael's
formula that you are email @ redacted Your sites may benefit from a
vacation of having no needles and no 'foreign' substance being delivered
to it and you will be able to transition back to pumping bee - yew -
tifully!

Denise Br.