Re: [IP] Back from the endo

It all gets switched to pyruvate in the end. ( Now proteins would really
complicate matters because of the amino acids, but that's a different
subject, having to do with the Adkins Diet.)  The thing about carbs and
fats in combination is that there's a race going on to see what gets
burned first. With a very limited amount of fat in the diet,
carbohydrates win and then we can bolus in a predictable (and easy)
way.  Add fat, like pizza, and you've effectively tripped one of the
contestants in the race - the carbs - and we have to use an extended
bolus, and often a lot of guesswork to get good results.

Lipid panel is due at the next appointment!  Without a lot of carbs in
the diet, fats do get metabolized. Excess carbs, on the other hand, get
turned into triglycerides which feed fat cells and create insulin
resistance.