Re: [IP] So Sad

Dear Sad  if ts any consolation, you are not alone.  Urb Anism is right,
though, you need to get help with your depression.  Or reach inside
yourself and say I can do this.  If you keep saying I cant, you have
already given up.

I have not been working since July 2010.  My husband, who retired before me
wanted me home.  Who knows how many years we have left before we leave this
earth?  He has COPD, asthma and still smoking.  And I, of course, am a Type
1 with a multitude of problems too long to list here.  This was his
reasoning: we needed to be together as long as possible, rather than spend
eight or nine hours in an office.  We figured with his Social Security
check we would be able to make ends meet in Central America.  That did not
work out; so we came back to the States and are still making ends meet.  I
am still too young to collect SS.  We also have no insurance.

This did not happen overnight.  The first thing I started doing was write
down all our expenses, no matter how small, from $1.00 donation to church
to $.25 for a parking space, telephone, electric, gas, taxes, food, water
and so on.  You get the picture.  Then we asked ourselves, where can we cut
down?  Landline with no frills if you still need a landline, prepaid cell
phone instead of having a contract, no TV, cable or satellite, go to the
library instead of buying books.  Rather than buying prepackaged foods, buy
the ingredients to make what you need to eat.  For example, taco seasoning
in a little packet?  Instead make your own. You may already have all the
ingredients in your pantry.  There are lots of websites where you can get
recipes to make things from scratch.  You don't use taco seasoning?  It
could be anything you use in your home, cleaning supplies, reusing and
recycling.   I did not think of this process as depriving myself of this or
that; but I took pride in my resourcefulness in finding alternatives.

By compromising on some of these things, you have more leeway for your
medicines.  After you do this for a week or two, you will begin to see a
pattern to your purchases/expenses.   Now you can say, I can do without
this or that.  When it comes to insulin you are not going to be able to
compromise.  But here are a few ideas.  You say you are in NJ.  How long
would it take you to get across the border to Canada?  With a doctors
prescription it may be worth your while to drive there and get a supply for
three or six months or a year. Thats my next step.  But I live I Georgia
and it will be more expensive for me to get there.  Do you take other
medicines beside insulin, go generic.  Insist on it with your doctor   He
may try to tell you that this medication or that other one is not as
effective; thats not true.  In order for a manufacturer to make a
medicine, he will have to meet the same standards as the original
manufacturer went through to get FDA approval.  I went from $90 Lipitor or
Vytorin to a generic statin from Costco for less than $10 for a three-month
supply.  Walmart has a great generic program and so does Sams and Costco
if you have a membership.  Going back to insulin.  Do you have friends who
travel to Central or South America?  They can bring back insulin for you at
a fraction of the cost with no prescription.

Lets talk about the sensor you are using.  It seems that insurance
companies are going by Medicare rules that this is a DME and are not going
to pay for it.  Are you a recently diagnosed diabetic?  If not, what did
you do before the sensor, before the pump?  You used some sort of glucose
tester and shots, right?  Those of us who have had this disease for many
years started like that and it can be done again, even if you have to take
eight shorts a day and test every one or two hours.  Testing supplies?
 Check out Walmart ReliOn Prime glucose meter.  I think it can be bought
for $8 or $9 dollars.  The trips are $9 for 50.  They also have A1C kits
and other diagnostic supplies.  Contrary to what some diabetes educators
tell you, you can reuse syringes until they become dull.  By trial and
error you will find out what works for you

You can do all this and more.  You are an intelligent human being and can
think of many alternatives.  And thank God we read IP.  There is some great
support out there.  We have all gone through some rough spots; but life is
still worth living dont let yourself or others tell you otherwise.  All my
best, Liliana