From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of stacey martin
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:43 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Being prepared...

Sometimes I have to be kicked in the head to learn something.

I work the midnight to 8 am shift, and yesterday morning at about 5 am, I
got the no delivery sound from my pump.  I knew that the reservoir had run
dry, as I had had a couple of low reservoir warnings earlier.  I went to my
bag to pull out the little baggie with a new set, insulin, new reservoir,
skin prep and tegaderm that I had gotten ready before I left for work in
preparation for a changeout.... It wasn't there.  I had left it at home.  So
I was sitting at work, out of insulin, with three hours left to go on my
shift, a physical therapy appointment immediately after work, and I hadn't
eaten since the previous evening at around 6 pm (having anticipated one of
the bagels that a coworker brings in every Thursday).

I cancelled the physical therapy appointment and of course didn't eat
anything, and drove home at 8 am as fast as possible.  With traffic, I got
home around 9 am.  BG was about 215 when I got home so all ended up ok
though I knew it might continue to rise as a delayed reaction, but now I
would have insulin to deal with it.

I used to keep an unopened vial of insulin at work but stopped because I
never used it.  I do keep an extra set and a reservoir plunger and
connector in case of problem with the set.

So, even though I know better, I had to have it happen to be reminded to be
prepared.  I know I should carry extra supplies with me, but I've gotten
very lazy about it because I rarely if ever need them, and generally I'm not
far from home.  Work is about 20 miles but there's a lot of traffic in the
morning going home.  I think the easiest thing to do is keep my insulin I'm
using with my test kit and to leave a vial at work too.

Stacey