[IP] question about buying insulin in Germany

I have an adult student who is supposed to go to Germany for an extended
stay (work) with husband and 12 yr. old son who has diabetes. She is
wondering if she can buy insulin in an Apotheke without a prescription. They
work for some US govt agency and were told they couldn't go because the son
has diabetes. The mother is a nurse and a diabetic educator. Both she and
her husband speak German. The agency said their endocrinologist in Germany
can't treat children. I am sure there is a German endocrinologist they could
go to. She is trying to appeal the decision. If anyone perhaps in Germany
has an answer I would appreciate it. You can answer off list.

Maureen Helinski