[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V10 #869

If his PCP "thinks" he has MRSA, be sure he has cultured the wound. have  the
PCP call you with the results of the culture (usually takes 24-48  hours).
For next time, it is always preferable to culture  something before initiating
antibiotics. While most MRSA infections can be  treated fairly easily, if MRSA
gets into his blood, it could cause a serious  illness.
If he is officially diagnosed with a MRSA infection, there are a few select
antibiotics that will be effective in treating it, so be sure the doctor has
prescribed the correct one. Ask if the MRSA is sensitive to that particular
drug.
In addition, I would specifically ask what steps you can take to protect
others who may be vulnerable from contacting a MRSA infection.  there are
 prescribed soaps that he can use for hand washing or anywhere on his skin.
whoever
cleans, dresses, touches the wound should have gloves on, and still wash
 hands before and after giving care. he should not share towels with anyone
else.
please don't be afraid to ask your health care provider anything! you  should
be informed of your diagnosis, treatment plan, expected outcome, etc. If  you
have knowledge about your condition that the doctor doesn't, speak  up! i am
an RN in a busy ER and so many of my patients have no  idea what their
 diagnosis is, how to care for it, or what any of their medications are for!
Demand
that you be informed and educated in  language that you can understand. even
 better, most health care providers have patient education software that stores
tons of health topics, as well as info on  medications. ask for copies.
megyn

In a message dated 4/29/2008 1:01:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,