RE: [IP] carelink usb what is it?

Hi Jenny,

 > Another solution; hire someone smart enough
 > to write software that is multi platform.

Doesn't work for hardware drivers. Those are of necessity tightly
ties to the OS they are written for and, somewhat less tightly, to
the computer's hardware. (The second restriction is not so much a
development effort, but it doubles and triples the testing
effort.)

In the particular case of Carelink, the major reason why it needs
Windows is that Windows (rather, IE) let web-based apps break out
of the "sandbox": Normally, such apps are not allowed to do things
that could alter the computer's state in major ways; that includes
directly accessing hardware. One of IE's features is to allow just
that in certain cases. It brings risks, too, but for Carelink, it
means that you don't ever have to actually install software, yet
it can still talk to the radio transmitter/receiver for the pump.

Anyway, the "multi-platform" part only works for apps, and even
there only for a fairly small segment of apps. :-( This is one of
the many reasons why I refuse to call programming "software
engineering" -- because engineering, a predictable application of
scientific principles, is far beyond current programming
techniques.

Cheers,
Felix.