Re: [IP] New reservoir without new insertion set?

--- On Thu, 4/24/08, Brad Bergman <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Seems to me I could just rewind the pump, refill the
> reservoir, do the
> manual prime, and plug it back into the current cannula
> without doing the
> fixed prime (since the current cannula would still be
> filled/primed from the
> previous set).

Brad,

 That's exactly what I do when I want to use up the last 100u or so in an
insulin vial. I don't want to bother with filling a reservoir partway with those
100 units, then getting a new vial to finish filling the reservoir. I don't
always wait for that reservoir to empty, either. Sometimes I'll add the last
100u to it once there's enough room, and then I take a new vial out of the
fridge to put in my kit.

 I find that I have to completely prime the tubing when I do this because an air
bubble always gets in. I'll usually reattach the plunger to the reservoir, pull
all of the insulin in the tubing back into the reservoir (and push any air
bubble out), then attach the transfer cap and get the last insulin out of the
vial. I then reprime the tubing but don't do a fixed prime unless I've just
changed the cannula.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987