RE: [IP] giving up

The brain puts out "serotonin," I believe. One class of medications that
helps with depression is called SSRI's (selective seratonin reuptake
inhibitors). I have three sisters who have all been helped enormously by
medication combined with counseling with a LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social
Worker) or a psychologist. A psychiatrist has to prescribe the medicine,
though. I found an interesting internet site where a woman wrote her own
personal experience with depression, research, and medication when I googled
"serotonin." http://www.plunk.org/~grantham/public/lexapro.html

I have to say I felt moved to tears after reading what Sue and then Jenny
wrote. There are so many things that can be discussed after bringing up the
emotional impact health problems have on one's life as well as their loved
ones.  As far as books go, there is a book called "Diabetes Is Not a Piece
of Cake" Revised 3rd Edition - (published October 1997; 3rd edition, 288
pages, isbn: 1-884929-77-X) The book for everyone who has diabetes or cares
about someone with diabetes, by Janet Meirelles, RN, and Certified Diabetes
Educator. Full of stories from her friends and patients. This edition has
the most recent American Diabetes Association (ADA) dietary recommendations
& more on food, plus a section on traveling, etc. (Available through the
ADA, at most bookstores, or direct from the publisher, LPIUSA.  Also
available in Canada, Australia, Great Britain, and other countries. Let us
know your city and country, and we'll e-mail you appropriate distributor
contact information.)  		I read it a long time ago and it was good.

I found another book online--"The Mind Body Diabetes Revolution" by Richard
Surwit, PhD (Avalon 2005), a self-help book if you are up for that. Here's a
short quote: "Richard Surwit writes a unique book about controlling blood
sugars through the management of stress, depression and anger. The author
gives patients an opportunity to take matters into their own hands,
identifying and dealing with their own emotional issues. He presents his
theories as an adjunct to other therapies. Surwit provides 3 screening
questionnaires, on stress, hostility, and depression that allow the patient
to self-screen. He also has an "appetite awareness scale" that could be very
helpful in increasing patient awareness of their eating behaviors."

Anyway, I also want to briefly mention a quote my dad really helped me stop
worrying about myself whenever I felt sorry for myself (especially in junior
high). " The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of
others," Mohandas Gandhi.

Another big thing that comes to mind is keeping a daily gratitude journal
where you write down 3-5 things every day that you are grateful for. I think
that is what I was so touched by in Jenny's first response. Despite
incredibly difficult circumstances, she has found a way to persevere and
indeed has become a stronger, better person who has looked for the positive
things in her life. We can look to her as an example. It is so easy to take
things for granted every day--like my sight, my legs, or my family, to name
a few!

Well, Sue, I truly hope some of these thoughts can be of help to you. I
admire your honesty. I think you have won half the battle--recognizing what
is wrong and trying to make things better.

With concern and gratitude,
Andrea Wilkinson
Dx 11/1974; pumping MM since 12/1987