Re: [IP] Diabetic Dermopathy-known treatments?

Thanks so much for your information.

----- Original Message ----
From: Allen MacHattie <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:44:48 PM
Subject: RE: [IP] Diabetic Dermopathy-known treatments?

Hi Virginia;

According to my Endo, the rash is called Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum
("NLD") and may be found at  http://tinyurl.com/6xubuj . I too have had it
for a number of years.  As you say, they don't do much and in my case seem
to come and go at random.  They never vanish completely, but unless you look
at them , they don't bother me at all.

According to the web site "Treatment of NLD is difficult. Sometimes it
responds to topical cortisone creams, especially if covered ("occluded")
with an airtight dressing. Cortisone injections can also be used to treat
NLD. These are more effective than cortisone creams. NLD usually goes
through stages of activity and inactivity. One is not able to predict when
the condition will flare. Ultraviolet light treatment has been found to
control this condition when it is flaring. A baby aspirin each day, and
other medications that thin the blood, such as Trental, may help NLD. Other
medications, including prednisone pills (steroids) are used in difficult or
severe cases"

Hope this helps.

Allen
D 47 yrs Pumping CoZmo

>Hi all,
>
> I have had diabetes for almost 22 years, and as far as I can remember I
have had the misfortune of having "scars" on the shins of my legs. They
don't do >much, they are not open, and after snooping around on the internet
belive it to be Diabetic Dermopathy. I have not seen any pics that really
look the
>same, but the description sounds about right. Does anyone else have this,
and if so is there any treatment that anyone knows of to help reduce/remove
them?