Re: [IP] Bruising at cannula insertion site

Hey Brad,

I have had many of the same problems you described. I started on the
MM 722 last august and the first few months were not the greatest.
It's not that I was constantly in pain, but I would have Infusion sets
failing on and off. I never knew what was going to happen with the
next one. I am on the lean side too and lost about 15 lbs, something I
did not want to do. With the help of people on this list including
Felix, Roselea, Diane (sorry, can't name everyone) I am doing lot
better now. I am just going to list them here for you and hopefully
other people who have similar problems.
1) I started with 6mm Quicksets. I think by default most people on MM
start with Quicksets (9mm or 6mm). I've had about 50% success ratio
with them. I switched to Silhouette (13mm). They work a lot better
than Quicksets for me. I would recommend ask MM (or your RN )for a few
samples, and if they work, switch immediately. Do not wait for the
next cycle. Also like Felix indicated, leave an inch between two
insertion sites

2) I use my arms, lower abdomen and my butt area. I also plan to use
my thighs soon. The more places you have, the better. You might notice
better absorption in some areas compared to others. So test often

3) When I change my sets and take a bolus immediately, it doesn't work
too well. So now, I change it at night. I also leave the old set in
for couple of hours after inserting the new one. Don't be alarmed if
you see high numbers after you change. You just have to figure out,
the best time for you to insert.

4) I have to change my set after 72 hours. If I don't it causes
bruising and my skin has spots. Please experiment with this. I used to
leave it for 3.5 days initially, but that seems to be too long for me

5) I lost lot of weight initially (the first 2 months) simply because,
I the infusion sets were not working properly and I started eating
less & stressing. Get help. Talk to people on the list, your CDE and
your doctor

I wish MM (I am not sure what other companies do) would have a
"starter kit" and include couple samples of all infusion sets. That
way a new user could find the best one for them.

Feel free to ask any questions. Hope this helps