RE: [IP] Question (connected or not connected sugergy)

Hi Christene,

 > [...] even though her regular doctor had written
 > in the notes not to disconnect or remove the pump.

That was the problem -- communication, or lack thereof.
Intraoperative management is in the hands of the
anaesthesiologist. As diabetics, we _must_ make sure that the
anaesthesiologists caring for us and we are on the same page; a
note on page 348 of the chart is not good enough.

Consider: You are the anaesthesiologist and induce the patient.
Suddenly, you find an infusion pump. How much is it infusing? How
long? Will you hang on the phone to the manufacturer, just to
figure out how to coax the device into displaying the current and
future basal rates?

Nope. Way too risky -- so off it comes.

Lesson: The only doctors who count when one has surgery are the
ones in the OR. What the GP or endo knows or does might as well
happen in Antarctica.

I hope your friend recovered OK?

Cheers,
Felix.