RE: [IP] Question

Hi Michelle,

 > where's the best place on your leg for a site?

Where do you have enough fat, and which sets do you use? Even in
the absence of a nice fat layer, you can still make do if you use
angled sets -- pull up a skin fold, punch set (manually) into the
short side of the fold (where the fingers are not) such that it is
parallel to the not-pulled-up skin, and then let go of the fold.
Essentially that pushes the cannula through the skin into the
space between skin and underlying muscle. (And no, it's not really
empty space. :-) ).

For me, that works best medially and antero-medially.

 > he said I could take it off for 2 hrs.......

Of course you can, for two hours. Even a few more are not a
problem -- the anaesthesiologist can hook you up to a glucose drip
with an insulin piggy-back infusion. The annoyance with BG control
is usually once you leave the hands (and constant monitoring) of
the anaesthesiologist and end up on a floor bed with overworked
nurses and HCAs who still use sliding scales and consider the
exchange system to be too much work (so would I if I had to do it
for six patients, all of whom require lots more care than just BG
control).

So, if I were you, I'd discuss this with my anaesthesiologist. For
my more recent surgeries, I left the pump on, with a reduced basal
(70% will at least not let me get into trouble even over a full
day); I explained how to disconnect the set (and he knew how to
rip it off, if worst came to worst); and he agreed to leave the
pump alone as long as mu BG was within a reasonable range. If that
would have made him unhappy, I would just have pre-bolused for the
missed basal and disconnected. No big deal either way.

Cheers,
Felix.