Re: [IP] Baby formula

Hi Erik!

All we can do is guess at this point. My 15-year-old was breastfed and given
Carnation Good Start milk-based baby formula. He was diagnosed at age 8. My
4-year-old was exclusively breastfed and wasn't allowed any bovine, dairy
foods until he was 9 months old (we were in the TRIGR study) and he was
diagnosed at 2 and a half. I blamed viruses and immunizations. Who knows.

All that said, I have 3 other kids that don't have diabetes, ages 17-21. I
have no idea why my two youngest have it, and the first three don't. It's a
bit frustrating not knowing the cause, but all you can do is your best. I
thought that keeping my youngest away from milk products would help keep him
from getting diabetes. That didn't work.  Although, something struck me as
interesting. I had to cut dairy out of my own diet also because my son would
get colicky if I ate cheese or drank any milk products...until he was about
6 months old. I've heard a couple of other parents say that their
pre-diabetic babies had the same reaction to dairy. That's the only thing
that I have to go by that sounded like some kind of connection to me. They
recorded that in the TRIGR study after my son was diagnosed. I don't recall
my 15-yr-old ever having a reaction to dairy though. Like I said...who
knows. You just have to do your best. There are some people who give vitamin
suppliments that they believe may stop the developement of type 1 diabetes
in their children who start to show some randome high blood sugars off and
on, but I can't recall what all was in the concoction. I  think fish oils
were one part of the formula.

--
Cheryl
married to Gil