[IP] Symlin

Hi Joy,

This guy says it well...

You see, when the beta cells of the pancreas secrete insulin, they also
secrete a second hormone called amylin.

People with type 1 diabetes secrete no amylin at all. After 80 years with only
medical treatment for type 1 diabetes,

we now have a new weapon in our arsenal to combat erratic blood glucose
levels. Symlin (the brand name for

amylin) is commercially available for people with type 1 diabetes, as well as
those with type 2 who are taking insulin to treat diabetes.

What & Why:

Classified as an "incretin," Symlin is a hormone that influences other
hormone-secreting glands. It acts directly on the central nervous system to do
the following:

(1) Slow the emptying of the stomach's contents into the small intestine for
absorption

(2) Blunt the secretion of glucagon by the pancreas (ironically, the pancreas
of people with Type-1 diabetes secretes blood glucose-raising glucagon just
after meals)

(3) Enhance satiety and decrease appetite

By slowing digestion, limiting food intake and keeping the body from raising
blood glucose levels on its own,

Symlin helps to flatten the sharp blood glucose rise that occurs after meals
in most people with diabetes.

Postprandial spikes, as these are called, can influence a person's energy
level, mind function, emotions and

physical abilities.