RE: [IP] Re: Type 1, Type 1.5, Type 2 diabetes

-- On Fri, 4/11/08, Joy L Wright <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Right now I'm waiting 2 months for an apptmt with the
> new endocrinologist
> and also waiting till October for an apptmt at joslin
> diabetes center in
> upstate ny. Until then I have to manage myself and just
> fake it to the dr,
> and try to manage to come up with the insulin I need to
> keep my  numbers
> more rational than she cares about. She instructed today
> that I am to take 2
> shots a day, and not adjust at noon unless I'm over
> 300......Not at all
> other than that :O( I sure appreciate the support of all
> you guys while I'm
> waiting thru this 2 months........joy

 What insulin(s) are you on? Long acting only, or a pre-mix of long/short? What
do your numbers generally run during a typical day? While you're waiting to see
the new doctors, you should read up on things like carb counting, insulin:carb
ratios, correction factors etc. These are all numbers that are important not
only for pumpers but for anyone taking insulin who wants tighter control. I know
that there are some pages right here on the IP site that will help you to figure
out some numbers, and you can also find them here:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/index.php

 You might also want to take a look at the book on that site called Using
Insulin. The same authors also wrote Pumping Insulin, which many people here
recommend. You'll find a lot of the same ideas in Using Insulin, for those not
on a pump.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987