[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V10 #840

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:40:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Diane Carter <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Animas pump occlusions
>
> Hi,
>
>   I have been using the Animas 1250 since August 06 and have NEVER had an
> occlusion alarm go off. I had a situation (early on) when I my cannula was
> totally kinked with a BG reading of 550 and no alarm sounded. My diabetes
> educator thought it strange that no alarm sounded. I actually manually tried
> bend the tubing to sound an alarm and NOTHING. As a result I always check
> frequently after a new site is inserted just because of this. I feel there
is no
> way of really knowing what's going on without checking my blood. What does
the
> alarm sound like? Mine is set on high and I do receive the usual 2 hour
after
> bolus alarm but never an occlusion.
>
>   Diane from Michigan
>

> Diane
> .
Hi Diane,
Even if you were deaf, you would know the pump was trying to jump up and
strangle you :-)
It not only makes a sound but also vibrates and does so repeatedly until you
have to do something about it. It does everything it can to alert you to what
it thinks is a major problem.

There may be a tremendous variation  re: occlusion detections which the Animus
pumps do not take into account. Yours was set to HIGH and mine was set to LOW
for occlusion sensitivity.

The other factor to consider is the infusion set itself. If the inside
diameter of the tubing is larger, then occlusions would be less because it
would take more back pressure to set off the occlusion alarm.
The Animas pump does not allow the user to use their own discretion as to some
other cause for the apparent occlusion. It arbitrarily decides that you MUST
remove the infusion set and will not continue pumping. You could be in the
middle of a bolus and it just plain stops.. and complains.

Not my idea of a good cup of tea.