[IP] Diabetic Alert Dog:Meet Our Tinkerbell!

>From: "Kim" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Diabetic Alert Dog:Meet Our Tinkerbell!

>The above is a link to a story in our local  newspaper.Taylor is my
>daughter, Tinkerbell is her Diabetic alert dog.She travels with us
>EVERYWHERE we go.Taylor and Tinkerbell are truly ambasadors for both Type 1
>Diabetes , and service dogs.Tinkerbell is an exceptional dog, and not the
>normal breed of dog for a service dog, although small dogs make WODERFUL
>compact service animals.

> If any of you are planning on attempting to train your own service dog to
>detect lows/highs, it is IMPERATIVE that the dog must be EXTREMELY well
>behaved and go through an advanced obedience course., and that the dog is
>very easy going, friendly to both humans and other K9's, and any thing else
>they might encounter out and about.I have trained dogs for over 30 years
>now, and used to train my dogs for competitive obedience.Although a service
>dog definitley does not need to be trained in competitive obedience, its
>manners have to be IMPECCABLE, which is a huge commitment .It also takes a
>dog with a certain temperment to succeed at being a service dog.

>           There are a few different organizations that train diabetic
>alert service dogs.One is www.diabeticalertdogs.org
>and I cant remember what the other group is.

>Kim Vierra-Diehl
>Kalispell MT.
>Mom to Taylor age 9 DX 1/2006, pumping since 4/2006
>*Home of 3D Toy Poodles*
>(upcoming litter late June 2007)

Thanks, Kim, for sharing your story.  I'm certainly going to save your
article.  It sounds like your Tinkerbell is a real treasure!  I'm searching
the possibilities to come up with a dog that could be trained to alert my
low BGs, but I don't think I need to go to the extent of having a full time
service dog that needs to be with me at all times.  When I'm out I'm usually
with my hubby or someone else who can help me if I need it, but some of my
worst lows occur when I'm just watching TV in the evening at home and I
slowly lose touch with what's going on.  By the time someone comes home and
notices how "out of it" I am my BG will be in the 40's.  A dog that could
help me notice this would be great!

I took our last dog through advanced obedience training years ago.  It
"worked" in our store and had to be reliable in public.  Finding information
on how to train a diabetic alert dog is tough, although the feedback I've
gotten from this list is great.

Yessi Palmer