[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V10 #423

In a message dated 4/30/2007 11:25:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

Date:  Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:17:10 -0400
From: "Sarah Dowdell"  <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Celiac lab tests and insurance  coverage

Should I pay the invoice and then fight it to get reimbursed,
or not  pay it and fight it.

Hi Sarah,

I have had my daughter tested for Celiac's several times in the last 2-3
years, mostly because she had some
 symptoms, plus Type 1 DM has an increased risk of developing that  problem.

The same lab tests were done as you had done and they were paid just as any
other lab test...that is 20% of the figure BC/BS has negotiated with the lab
minus our yearly deductible.

Personally, I agree with your last statement and would try to hold off
 paying right now at least until you have called the insurance company to ask
them
about it anyway and possible speak with a supervisor.

Then if they still refuse to cover it, try calling your physician and  asking
if he or she would write a letter to the insurance company to  support your
position.

Good luck!

Joann (mom to Cara)