Re: [IP] pump to last

> would like to know how long should i expect my pump to last. what is the
> average.  i have the paradigm.  how often will the insurance replace it.

It depends a lot on the insurance and the situation.  Most of the time, you
shouldn't expect a replacement until after the warranty is no longer in
effect -- four years after it is purchased.  Some insurance companies
require the pump you are using to actually fail before they will go ahead
and get another, or have some problem with them, anyway.

Sometimes, you can replace a pump earlier than that, if your insurance
changes and your current company did not buy the first one.  Occasionally,
when people have had repetitive failures of one company's pump, they can get
the insurance company to go for another.

There are people out there who have used their pumps for many years, even
more than four with no problems.  I had thought that I replaced my 504
around the end of 1997, but now I'm thinking it might have been the end of
1996 instead.  Anyway, it was six or seven years old when I replaced it.  I
tried when it was past the warranty and the insurance wouldn't pay for a
replacement because the 504 still worked.  I got my 507 at the end of '96 or
'97, and I'm still using it today, without any problems at all.  It has been
nearly thirteen years for two pumps.

I delayed replacement for quite a long time, because I knew we would have to
pay a big copay, 20%.  Then we met our out of pocket maximum last fall and I
nearly replaced it then.  When insurance changed to a better policy with
100% coverage, I opted to wait and thoroughly research, and have ordered a

I have heard of pumps lasting eight years without any problems at all.  Many
times people replace a functioning pump.  Other times they do die much
closer to the end of the warranty period.

I remember reading or hearing that the reason why the Nipro Amigo's release
was delayed was that they found through accelerated testing that one of the
parts was not likely to last seven years, and they wanted all the parts to
have a life expectancy of seven years, even though the warranty will be the
industry standard of four years.

In other words, chances are good (though far from certain) that your pump
will last as long as you want it to beyond four years.  Most of the time,
people want to replace after four years, because they improve the pumps all
the time.

Both times I bought my 504 and 507, it wasn't long, probably a year or so,
before a new model with fancy new features was available.  I didn't keep up
as well with other brands, but I remember admiring the 506 and the 508
longingly, wishing for one that did what those fancy new ones did.  I'd
imagine that's why so many do replace their pump pretty close to four years
after getting the previous one.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990