Re: [IP] Diabetes Temporary???

In a message dated 4/28/03 10:45:02 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> >I know a high percent of people with CF develop type 1 diabetes but I've
> >never heard that it went away.
> What is it about CF that causes type 1 diabetes?
> I know next to nothing about CF, other than that the prognosis is not good.
> It seems that one chronic illness (especially one like that) would be
> enough
> to contend with.  It's too bad.
Many people believe that cystic fibrosis is a disease of the lungs only. It
isn't: It is also a disease of the pancreas, albeit the part of the pancreas
that provides the substance that helps to digest food. That is why people
with CF need to eat huge quantities of calories - they do not digest food

It seems quite "normal" (to me, at least) that somebody who has a problem
with one function of the pancreas might also be at high risk for having a
problem withe another part of the pancreas.

Jan and ElvisToo